Friday, August 10, 2007

Student Teaching


Made a major step towards my career in the last couple days. Wednesday I attended a meeting at the high school where teachers new to the district received orientation. Though I am not a "new" teacher, just a "student" teacher, I attended so I could meet my teacher, Terry, and get a hand on the school.
Today, I attended my first required meeting. We had a free breakfast at the school and received our info packets and name tags, etc. At the meeting, I ran into a classmate from college with whom I had talked a bit with. He could be a great guy to get to know as he is near my age, married, just had a baby, and has an RN for a wife. Very similar to me (other than the baby, of course). He's a theater guy which could be a nice addition to my friends as an alternative to game-geeks. We'll see how it goes but we seemed to hit it off.
After the meeting where I got to know my classmate, we basically went to work organizing classrooms, preparing for student arrival next week (already!). I was overdressed and worked my butt off hauling boxes, cabinets, and supplies & assisting other teachers hang decor, etc. Afterwards I was exhausted... yet I still had work tonight.
I ran home, relaxed for a half hour, called my client about my arrival, and headed off to work. It's been a long day, but I feel good about everything I've done. 12 hour day... it will be very similar to my future teaching first-year, I fear.
Bed time.

No comments: